Sunday, August 17, 2014

living outside the Utah bubble.

We are officially back from Ohio and will be in Utah while my husband finishes his last year of school. I was super nervous about moving and living outside of Utah. I have traveled a bunch throughout my life, but have never actually lived anywhere but good old Orem, Utah. We were only gone 3 months, but it was so nice to get a taste of what it is like to live outside of the Utah bubble. I absolutely LOVED it!

You could say it was a little bit of a culture shock for me. What I loved the most about living in Ohio was that there is no competition or pressure. You know what I mean about competition. The happy valley, Mormon competition that we all have to deal with here in Utah. Who has the best hair. Who has the best body. The cutest baby bump. The nicest clothes. etc!! Sometimes I even wonder if I can post a picture, because "is it INSTAGRAM WORTHY?!" I seriously have that fear that everyone is judging me and everything I do. There is always so much pressure to be the best. It is NOT like that outside of Utah, and I LOVE it. Nobody cares. And everyone is so nice and supportive of everything you do. Nobody is trying to be better than the next person or trying to one up everything you say or do. It was so refreshing!

I was able to talk to a couple of friends about this while I was gone. One of them was a really good friend that I made while in Ohio and she grew up in Utah. So she knew exactly what it feels like to live in the Utah bubble. We had a long talk about this subject one night and she really opened my eyes. I talked to another friend when we stopped in Texas for a week. Both her and her husband agreed with what I had to say about living outside of Utah. She grew up in California and he grew up in Texas, but they both lived in Utah for quite some time. It is good to know that I am not the only one who feels that way.

Some people grow up in Utah and never leave, which is fine. But if you get the opportunity to live outside of Utah, even if only for a few months, take it! It is so worth it! I think that everyone should experience that at some point in their life.

My husband was offered a full time job with Goodyear, at the end of his internship. We accepted the offer and he will start working for them once he graduates in April. I am so proud of him and all his hard work.This means that we will be moving once he graduates and now I am more excited than ever! I will definitely miss my family and friends in Utah. I will definitely visit often. But I cannot wait to start a new adventure. Don't get me wrong, I love Utah and I sure missed the beautiful mountains and everything that Utah has, but being away from everyone you know brings you so much closer as a couple. We grew together so much this summer because we only had each other to rely on.

We do not know where we will be moving yet. But we do know the potential places. Lawton, Oklahoma. Danville, Virginia. Fayetteville, North Carolina. Topeka, Kansas. Or Buffalo, New York. There are definitely some places I'd rather go than others, but I can't wait to find out where we get to go begin a new adventure!

What do you think about the Utah bubble? Have you experienced anything else?   

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on Collin's job offer! That's so exciting.
    I love your take on the competition in Utah. When I was living there I always felt pressure and competition to be the best, the richest, have the best car, go to the right gym, wear the nicest clothes, etc. but since living in AZ I have felt no pressure! My eyes were opened so much and I realized that no one really cares what I drive, how I dress, what religion I am, etc.! It's refreshing and I too think everyone should experience life outside of Utah. It's a wonderful place, and I love everyone I know there, but it's been so nice for me and my marriage to grow outside of the bubble. I'm able to focus on what really matters!
    I love what you wrote and completely agree.
    I'm anxious to see where you and Collin end up for his work! I love you and hopefully I'll be up soon so we can go to lunch and catch up! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gives me somethinf to look forward too... thanks for sharing ali... love ya Im so happy for u...kabs

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my experience living in Sweden, I miss the Utah bubble. I think just because I am an american living in Sweden, I don't fully connect with people and that has been so tough on me. I am dying to move home actually haha! I have lived here for two years now! And I am done haha.
    The pressure to be and look the best in Sweden is so competitive. I have just given up because I am American haha. I am so ready to live in Utah again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Utah bubble only exists if you let it! I made a goal this year to avoid comparison in all its forms, and it was a really helpful way for me to a) avoid judging those around me, and b) eliminate the feeling that others were judging me. I am learning to appreciate and love my trashy car because it gets me from point A to point B every time, and my tiny, undecorated apartment because it keeps me safe and dry at night. My body is far from fab, but it's healthy and happy, so who cares about tan + muscles? Haha. Basically, if your life works for you and you love it, then to heck with the Utah bubble, you know? I do understand the bubble feeling though, having lived here for years, so I hear you, girl. It's a relief when you can no longer feel the bubble feeling, no matter how that relief comes. I'm still on my way there.

    How fun that you will be off on a new adventure again in April! I've always wanted to visit Eastern US, so enjoy it a little extra for those of us back in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! It is definitely different! But sometimes that happens everywhere.. especially wondering if this post is "blog worthy, instagram worthy, or facebook worthy." It can be so frustratinG!

    ReplyDelete