Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Birth Story



Wow. It took me a month to get this all written. I started it two weeks ago and never got around to finishing it up. I've been a little busy I guess you could say. Hopefully this isn't too gross or TMI. I tried to keep it clean. I also tried to keep it short, but that was hard to do. It's a novel. Oops.
Nolan Trevor Bush. Born on June 19, 2016, Father's Day. He was born at 2:03 pm, weighing 7 lbs. 5 oz. and 19 inches long (which we think they measured him wrong. He is so long!!).

I went to my 39 week appointment on June 16th and I was 39 weeks and 2 days. My mom was in town and so she came with us. I told my OB what had happened the week before (read here) when I saw one of his partners. He looked at me and said we need to get this baby out, don’t we? I think he felt bad for all that I had gone through the last two months. I was sure that I was progressing some and that I would be having a baby that weekend! That’s exactly what I told the doctor.  Well… he checked me and I wasn’t dilated at all and only about 50% effaced. Baby boy was super comfortable right where he was at. I was not happy about that, but I knew that baby would come when he was ready. The doctor left the room to check his schedule to see when we could schedule an induction. He usually schedules inductions for 41 weeks, in hopes you go into labor on your own before that. He walked back in the room and surprisingly said, “did you say something about this weekend?” We were all shocked! But I said yes and he scheduled me to be induced on Saturday, June 18th and 5:00 pm.

The plan was for me to go into labor and delivery at 5:00 pm on Saturday and I would be induced and then Sunday morning the doctor would show up to break my water, if I was at that point. We were all so excited and went home to get everything ready. The next two days went by a little slow. Mom and I went and got a pedi and mani on Friday to be baby ready!

Saturday morning I woke up and went to the gym with Collin. The nice thing about being induced is that you know exactly when you have to go to the hospital, so you can shower and get ready before. Score! It might seem pointless, but I felt clean and pretty and that made me happy. Thanks to Danica for the advice on that. The closer it got to 5:00 the more anxious and nervous I got. I honestly didn’t know what to expect.




 We walked into labor and delivery at 5:00 pm and they walked me to my room. I got dressed in the gown and got into bed and waited for everything to start. I was so excited and nervous all at the same time. They hooked me up to the monitors and it was showing I was having mild contractions, but I couldn’t feel them yet. Around 6:00 pm they inserted the first pill to soften my cervix. After 4 hours the nurse check me and I was dilated to a one. She inserted a second pill and also gave me a sleeping pill so that I could try to get some rest. Around midnight my water broke on its own. Which was unexpected, but great news!! Now I would be able to progress on my own. They didn’t insert any more of the pills since I was progressing on my own now.


At 2:00 am I was only dilated to a 2, almost 3. By now my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. The Doctor wanted to wait to see if I needed Pitocin. By this time I hadn’t had any pain meds. Around 3:15 am I got in the Jacuzzi tub that was in my room. That felt amazing! It helped take the edge off the pain. 4:15 am I was dilated to a 3. I started throwing up whenever I had contractions. They said that some people’s reaction to pain is nausea. I guess that’s mine! They gave me some Zofran for the nausea, but it didn’t work. 5:45 am and I was dilated to a 4.  



They started the Pitocin at 6:00 am. At that time they gave me some Phenergan for my nausea and some Nubain for pain. The pain medicine only last 2 hours. But I could ask for it every 2 hours if I wanted it. The Phenergan knocked me out. And I knew that it would. But it also helped me stop throwing up. I was able to fall asleep for about 2 hours.



At 7:45 they gave me some more Pitocin to keep things going since my contractions were slowing down. I was dilated to a 7 at 11:00 am. I asked for more pain medicine and that was the last time they gave it to me. They had me lay on my right side so that baby could push on my cervix to get me to a 10. I did not like laying on my side at all. I was at a 9 by 12:45 and baby’s head was way down and ready to go! I felt like it was taking forever to get to a 10 at this point. I was at a 9 ½ by 1:10 and I was ready to push! But I needed to get to a 10 still.

At 1:50 I was finally at a 10 and ready to go! My doctor hadn’t come back in the room yet and I couldn’t help but push. The nurse sat down, put her gloves on and said it was okay if I pushed. So I did. And then she stood up and told me, “STOP PUSHING! We need Dr. Joslin in here NOW!” I guess she didn’t think baby was right there and ready to come out. Dr. Joslin ran into the room and nurses were throwing a gown on him and putting gloves on as fast as they could. I pushed through one contraction and baby’s head was showing. My doctor grabbed my hand and let me feel my sweet baby’s head. At that moment I started to cry. I couldn’t believe what I was doing and that I was just minutes away from meeting my son. It was pure joy. I guess I was breathing the wrong way when I was pushing, so the nurse told me how to breathe correctly when I pushed and it helped so much! I pushed through 3 contractions and my baby was here. They laid him directly on my chest and we were able to do skin to skin for an hour. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced. 

My mom was in the room with us and I was so glad she was there to experience this special moment with me. It meant everything to me to have her there for support. She has always been by my side for everything and I didn't want it any other way for this.




I had talked to a few different people and friends who had given birth without an epidural and after talking to them I thought it was something I might want to do. I went back and forth about it the last two months of pregnancy. I finally decided I would try to do it without one and if I need an epidural then I’ll ask for one and I won’t feel bad about it. I honestly could not have done it without my husband. We didn’t practice anything or take classes at all and he was a pro! Our nurse was even telling everyone that we were the best labor team she has seen! I laughed when my mom told me that because we had no idea what we were doing. I had only asked Collin to help keep me calm and help me breath through my contractions. He was amazing!!

I’ve had people ask me if I will have all my kids this way, and the answer is YES. I was able to walk around during labor and I felt everything, which was helpful to know when to push. I think my labor went so smoothly because of it. In all honesty, I was afraid of being restricted to my bed and not being able to move my own legs. I will definitely not get epidurals in the future if I can. If you have ever wanted to not get an epidural, do it! You can do it. I believe that if you think you can, then you will be able to. All you need is a great support system.    

1 comment:

  1. NO EPIDURAL?! DANG GIRL!!! I can't even imagine that... but obviously it was all worth it because your baby boy got here safe and sound! He's seriously so cute and I'm so, so happy for you! Motherhood looks so dang good on you!!! xo

    ReplyDelete